3 Jan 2011

Arrival in Clarens and a Very Wet Safari

Well, I'm here. It seems like a lifetime ago that I started praying, planning and saving for this moment, so much so that its a bit unreal to think that the time has actually arrived - I keep half expecting to be told to go home again! We had a wonderful family holiday although the two days at the safari lodge were waterlogged to say the least, however, we still saw loads of animals including cheetahs and giraffes!
I started this post a week ago and have now had one week which has also been more of a holiday but also some adjustment time. Our team has not yet re-assembled after christmas and so things are on a go slow at a push! But it has been, in a way, quite good to just pick up the pace of life here and try and settle in to what is now my life. I think we underestimate moves like this, excited as we are, we forget that there is a lot involved and that actually behind the exciting things we're doing and the great things we're going to do and see and experience life doesn't just change at the click of a finger and we aren't able to just fit into a new place as immediately as hoped! I say 'we' because I think really that is one of the true lessons of leaving home for everyone who's done it. Now, don't quote me or use me as some expert on this because, seriously, I haven't consulted anybody else on this issue, its just a hunch. I think one of the biggest learning curves leaving home is that home doesn't happen overnight. You can make a place look like home and, yes I believe Clarens is my home [see previous blog posts to see just how much] but actually making a home in a new place, especially on your own is tough. (I hope this is making sense, I'm really just typing before my brain thinks this through). I suppose I'm just grateful that I am joining a church here that feels like a home, that the people will make sure I feel like part of a family, and that the Northcote family let me kip on their floor!

No comments:

Post a Comment