Well, things have kicked off with Back to School! After 6 months of being out of the classroom I'm back in it on the other side of the table! Somebody had the strange idea that I can teach maths and so I've been taking the 6 most able children in Grade 5 (10 years old) for their, numbers to 1 000 000 lessons! This mainly involves a lot of number lines and counting on, which may not sound so hard but I did put a number line on the board yesterday that I couldn't answer! This elicited the question "Are you a teacher?" from one girl, the answer was "Sort of!" Apart from that we are now only 2 short of a full team, the first of which comes back tomorrow and then the second of which...I'm not sure! Feeling ready to take on the year and hit the ground running.
We've been doing 'birds' in class as well where, as Mike said, my extensive knowledge of birds really came in handy! I've learnt that Ostriches are the largest birds on earth and can run at up to 45 mph. Today we had 2 Love Birds and a Chicken in the classroom which was...interesting! The Love Birds wouldn't really shut up so it was a bit frustrating after a while! I really became a teacher when I sat down with 2 subjects worth of books and was like, AH now I have to do all this marking - although the best bit is getting to choose stickers to reward them with. I think that every year should get stickers, right up to Sixth Form. Everyone loves stickers, am I right, or am I right!?
No comments:
Post a Comment