4 Aug 2010

Landscaping

Taking a train from Worthing to London is an interesting and relatively rewarding experience. There is no other place quite like a train for appreciating the English countryside. Personally, even when on a really enjoyable walk on the downs or in some other lovely green place, I never take stock about how green our country is. When on a train heading into a city however, suddenly I am forced to look around me and I found myself thinking, hey! This 'ain't half pretty! Then as the landscape transmogrifies into high rise flats and more and more railway lines come alongside ours, I start to marvel at the changing feel of a country. The history freak inside me starts mulling over the change forced by the Industrial Revolution and the changing face of British economics throughout the 19th Century.

Then you think, where does God come into this? Obviously, green English fields inspire thoughts of our beautiful and wonderful creation. God thinks about every leaf on every uneven hedge and causes every stalk of wheat to grow in our mismatched and patchwork farms. Amazing! But I also marvel at how God has watched over our industrial development and how he has guided mankind to the discovery of steam engines, railways, electricity and the motor car! He has watched over the growth of modern cities and the swarms of people the move in and out and around of them every day are beloved to him. Just like I am, sitting on this one train among thousands around the world. God is watching me travelling into this city that does not know me and He says to me "I know you Jo, and I love that you are enjoying all aspects of my creation. Even Victoria Station!"

AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment