Those of you who know me very closely, will probably know what kind of a subject 'home' is to me, and to those of you who don't, you're probably (if I get the words down right) about to find out. Of course, a trip to Scotland is bound to stir up feelings and ponderings about home and the ultimate question, where is home?
I was struck again by the unbearable beauty of the Borders and then taking the train from Edinburgh to Leuchars/ St Andrews) blew me away. As the train sped along the view out of the window was constantly changing from a stunning painting of a beach, to one of rolling green fields and hills. The bleak, raw beauty of Scotland never ceases to capture my heart, from the mottled hills to the grey stone of Edinburgh's buildings and cobbled streets. I love it all, yes, even in the rain! I only wish I could paint it, but will have to be content to 'paint with words'. I only hope this short paragraph has done it justice, the only thing I can say is visit, visit, visit!
So returning 'home' from where really feels like home is always a slight anti-climax. I am always reminded that really we are not meant to feel at home on earth because our real home is with God, but I think it is part of our humanity that we long for somewhere to feel like home. Its not sinful to wish that the place we live would feel like home, or to long for a place we have left - because it was home. I pray that God transforms that emotion and transfers it to His dwelling place. To slightly misquote a tweet from PJ Smyth: We must live is state of homesickness for the Kingdom of God. I only wish I found it easier to transfer my longing for an earthly home to a longing for a heavenly one.
No comments:
Post a Comment